[openbeosmediakit] Re: 3ivx decoder and Haiku

  • From: "Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:54:50 -0700 PDT

Matthew Potts <pottsy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David McPaul wrote:
> Any plans for xvid too?
> - Matt

Hello Matthew,

Earlier we had an xvid decoder but we were instructed as follows:
(from xvid folks)

        1. the xvid project focuses on making a great encoder, not a
           great decoder.  libavcodec is a superior decoder in quality
           and speed.
        2. an xvid decoder would cause the rest of the media kit to
           become GPL, thus making it impossible to use the R5
           MediaPlayer with it (or other non-GPL software)

Because of this it was removed from CVS.  However, we have
since made a facility for separating GPL codecs.  (such as the ac3

Now it's possible to build GPL codecs, but it's upon your own head
what you do with them.  Generally it's my understanding that
you are okay as long as you do not create a distribution.

Based on my interactions with the xvid folks I would not press
your luck by doing so.