[ola] Re: rubrics, please

  • From: Tracy Patterson <Tracy.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 04:01:51 +0000

Arnold et al-
This is the exact quagmire we are in the middle if in 549c. We have been
talking until we are blue in the face trying to get somebody (in the district)
to read our STATE standards and realize that they are global descriptors of
performance superimposed over a scholastic calendar year of classes called
Spanish 1,2,3,4,5. Most language teachers quickly realize that saying
"Proficiency Stage 1 approximates ACTFL NM" is somewhat useless when aligning
it to traditional grading systems (A,B,C,D,F). These are two different ways
about describimg performance/proficiency. The spirit of The Oregon State
Standards (based on ACTFL descriptors) is, in my opinion, incompatible with
letter grades.
I don't feel like I am explaining myself well. Anyhow, to all of the language
teachers out there, Keep up the good work! I hope that the decision makers in
the State, in general, and our district, in particular, will recognize the
incompatibility of our Standards and what they are mandating we do insofar as
fequency and types of assessments. Perhaps it boils down to semantics.
Saludos,

Tracy Patterson
Profesora de español

On Mar 12, 2013, at 7:10 PM, "Arnold Bleicher"
<arnoldb@xxxxxxxx<mailto:arnoldb@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Harris – mixing grades with performance is dicey. Explain to me, as a parent of
a kid who meets the goal for the class, why she gets a B. You set a goal, she
met it. Also, I really hesitate to mix performance standards with grades. This
muddies the waters. I want to move away from grades and whenever we start
moving in the direction of performance standards, the first thing admins want
to do is bring the discussion of grades into the mix. This is apples and
oranges. You want to assign grades based on X,Y,Z, (and parents and admins want
to see grades so you have to come up with some half-baked formula) but the
grade does not have to reflect the performance of a student. Maybe they don't
do their HW 8 times or are tardy 5 times and get docked, but are solid NH after
year 1. Grade = C – How does that have anything to do with her ability to
function at levels way beyond her peers? Don't get me wrong, I was in the
classroom for 25 years and know the game and what hoops we have to jump
through. Gotta give a grade. But damn, I want to reward the kid for her
performance. Do I have an answer? Sure: change the whole friggin system. Do I
have a workable answer other than the smart-aleck response I just gave? Nope.

ab

From: Harris levinson <hlevinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hlevinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:52 PM
To: OLA Listserve <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [ola] Re: rubrics, please

Exactly. I imagine we not only interpret approaching standard, at standard, and
exceeding standard differently (maybe not!), but that we also have differing
ideas regarding what grade each of those receives. I could argue that meeting
standard is a C, B, or an A depending on how I interpret the letter grades C,
B, and A!

Right now, I am inclined to give a B to someone who meets standards, an A to
someone who exceeds them. I have not fully switched to ACTFL standards only but
hope to get there and am very interested in how those of you who have switched
turn meeting standard into a letter or numerical grade.

Thank you.
Harris

2013/3/12 Tracy Patterson
<Tracy.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Tracy.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Hey all-
I agree with Arnold :) Attached is the OPIc rating chart for speaking to give
you an example. In Oregon, Spanish 1 corresponds to proficiency stage 1 which
"approximates ACTFL Novice-Low." Spanish 2, proficiency stage 2,  "approximates
Novice-Mid."
The challenge is assigning a letter grade to that!

Tracy Patterson
Profesora de español
North Medford High School
Department of World Languages
1900 N. Keene Way Drive
Medford, Or 97504
541-842-1249<tel:541-842-1249>
"El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz."
Benito Juárez