[ola] Re: Invitation to test creation day - April 13th (Friday)

  • From: Arnold Bleicher <arnoldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OLA Listserve <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:39:59 -0800

My one concern here is how this would impact your numbers, especially at
the higher levels, if you are allowing kids to test out of a Span 1 class
or Span 2 class. I could see how this test might be used for placement or
perhaps to justify skipping a level - I thought you had mentioned that
this assessment was for Heritage speakers who did not want to take Spanish
but wanted to get the credit. That I can get behind. I'd have to ponder
the possible implications of allowing kids to test out of a FL class. I
suppose if they are not college-bound it would be OK, but who knows what
decisions they may make later. Also, beware of how parents might react.
I'm all for assessing performance/proficiency.

Arnold