[ola] Re: Food and healthy eating habits

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 04:11:17 +0000

?thanks to all for all the great ideas!

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School
503-916-5280 ext. 75231
joannac@xxxxxxx
http://profecoleman.wordpress.com/

________________________________
From: ola-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <ola-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Heather
Pineault <heather_pineault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 7:48 PM
To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ola] Re: Food and healthy eating habits

I just did a similar unit but in French. I found a ton of authentic info on
line searching in French "healthy diets", "food pyramid", "food pyramid and
kids", "nutrition and kids" "obesity and kids" "healthy snacks and kids".
There was so much that it was overwhelming, but great.  There is a lot out
there from other countries targeting children -- images, charts with healthy
food choices, different versions of the pyramid, etc....   Sorry I don't have
directly links for Spanish, but if you search some of these ideas in Spanish,
hopefully you will find things as quickly as I did.  You may even find
different pyramids from the different Spanish speaking countries.

Our overarching theme (EQ) was "What is a healthy diet?  And can everybody have
a healthy diet (why / why not)?"  Then within that, do we as individuals have
healthy diets...etc...  The second question was great in terms of thinking
about why some people may not have the option --- cost, stores in the area,
local natural resources, etc...
Heather

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:29 AM, Kate Kuravackal
<donakuravackal@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:donakuravackal@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Food Pyramid
Article<http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/mypyramid/originalfoodguidepyramids/fgp/fgppamphletspanish.pdf>
 (in Spanish)

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Kate Kuravackal
<donakuravackal@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:donakuravackal@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Flags of
food<http://www.visualnews.com/2013/08/27/national-flags-created-foods-country-commonly-associated/>
 - pretty cool! Good for any language

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Call Daniel
<dcall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dcall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Joanna,
Here are two things that I have recently used or planned on using soon that may
fit the bill:

1.       Lo que comen<http://www.furiamag.com/lo-que-el-mundo-come/> - a series
of photos (no text! Hooray!  Can be used in any language) taken from a recent
book: families from around the world are shown with all the food/drink they
consume in a typical week.  Start with generating lists of what is there, or
what is missing from their diets, then move gradually toward evaluating overall
quality of diet/nutrition, and possibly speculating on causes and effects of
this type of diet.

2.       A Spanish Language infographic on Anorexia - I edited the original
graphic to cover up the girl (too provocative for my kids), as well as the
small section on sexuality and anorexia.  I'm planning a few reading strategy
exercises around this piece.

Hope these help out.
Dan Call