[obol] detection of Sooty Grouse

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:46:03 -0700

    This is one of those species whose detection rate belies its real status. I
have lived in the nw corner of Washington County for 21 years and every spring
I hear Sooty Grouse hooting. In those 21 years I have seen a living Sooty
Grouse in this same area only once. That was an adult and three fledged young
on the shoulder of Hwy 26 at Timber Jct, July 4, 2006. Khan Tranh came out July
6 of that year and we found presumably the same adult female dead at the same
spot. It had been hit by a car only minutes before our arrival. I found a dead
male on the same road (Hwy 26) in downtown Manning, elev 300ft, April of the
same year. The species is always here, but only detected for a few weeks in
spring.
    I'm sure that Sooty Grouse, as well as Gray Jays, have been present in the
Corvallis CBC circle on count day every time the count was held. That's
something like 60 counts by now. How many times has either species been counted
on that day? I'll bet under a half dozen times.   Lars