[obol] Re: Question about usefulness of coyote brush for birds

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:02:26 -0800

Thanks Mike.  I did see general comments on-line about the bush being useful
for "wildlife" generally and butterflies in particular.  I trust the
observation of Oregon birders more than most of the sources that I saw o-line.
The site that I am working on is very restrictive in that is is compacted soil
and crushed rock, that is well drained.  That is one of the reasons that I am
interested in Coyote Brush.

I have been planting Pacific Wax Myrtle, Evergreen Huckleberry, Thimbleberry,
Hooker Willow, Red Alder and Cascara elsewhere.  I am tempted by an eastern
Mediterranean native though too - anise, which is reportedly very attractive to
fall insectivores.

Jeff Gilligan