[obol] Question about usefulness of coyote brush for birds.

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:19:08 -0800

Baccharis pilularis DC. coyote brush

I am  planning to plant coyote brush in a disturbed area in Depoe Bay.   The
site is raised, rocky  fill next to a public sidewalk.  I was a bit surprised
to find it growing along the side of a raised dirt road not far from the ocean
there.  I typically associate the bush with the southern Oregon coast and
further south in California.  The site where I plan to plant it has a few
volunteers of the species already.  The site has previously been weed-whacked
every year, but the volunteers have grown about two feet in the first year.

Questions:

Do any Oregon birders find it to be good habitat?   Written sources say it
blooms late in summer, attracting insects and birds.

How far north has anyone found it?  I don't think I have seen it in Tillamook
County.

Thanks

Jeff Gilligan