[obol] Re: Question about usefulness of coyote brush for birds.

  • From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:29:53 -0800

*Jeff,*

*The northern limit of Baccharis pilularis--coyote brush is in the very
southeast portion of Washington State, I think around North Head. In
Tillamook County in Oregon it grows fairly abundantly on the steep sea
cliffs of Neakannie Mountain where many individuals can be seen from the
road as you come up from Manzanita along US-101 into the southern part of
Oswald West State Park. The species can also be found at Tillamook Head. It
is quite common around the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport too. I
think it provides good cover for birds in the fairly open habitat where it
occurs in Oregon. I am not certain how buggy it is or if its seeds are
important in the diet of any birds. David*

*David C. Bailey *

*Seaside, Oregon*

*Subject: Question about usefulness of coyote brush for birds.*