[obol] Re: Question about usefulness of coyote brush for birds

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:48:32 -0800

Everything depends on one's definition of "use".

I have seen PALM WARBLERS, WRENTITS, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS in
Coyote Bush.  The flowers are very good for native pollinators.
Native pollinators attract things that eat native pollinators.
My guess is that if one were to approach the question by collecting
quantitative rather than anecdotal evidence, one would find (as is
suggested by googling "Coyote Bush" and "wildlife") that it is a
good species for wildlife enhancement.

That said, it would not be my first choice for gardening on the
North Coast.  My choices would be California Wax-myrtle (_Myrica
californica_), Evergreen Huckleberry (_Vaccinium ovatum_) and
something deciduous like Twinberry (_Lonicera involucrata_) or
Salmonbery (_Rubus spectabilis_).

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR