[obol] Lane coast birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:37:47 -0700

I birded the morning on both sides of the Siltcoos estuary and the early
afternoon along South Jetty Road at Florence, both with Stephan Nance.  Diane
Pettey joined us for the north side of Siltcoos.

Highlights at Siltcoos: Northern Shrike (adult), flushed flock of about 20
Snowy Plovers out of the dunes, good looks at one (no bands at all) on the
beach. 2 Semi Plovers in the area, likewise one adult and one subadult Bald
Eagle. Also had in-yo-face looks at Wrentit, always fun. One imm.
Red-shouldered Hawk was along the river. An odd shorebird flushed out of the
marshy pond by the beach, Pectoral sized but making a quiet "purp" call and
seemed rather dull for Pectoral.  It had a fairly short bill.  It got away,
flying out southbound and at least briefly joining a flock of Starlings, quite
odd.  Department of Wild Speculation: a late adult Sharp-tail?

By the way, we saw southbound flocks of Starlings all day over the inner
beaches.  I didn't realize that they had such a movement.

A note of caution to anyone birding Siltcoos.  The Waxmyrtle Trail is in poor
condition halfway along, almost collapsed into the river, and the central
segment alongside the river is quite dangerous.

South Jetty Road was not very flashy, though it had several harriers.  The
channel was good, with all three loons and a surprising 13 Red-necked Grebes.

Stephan can add anything I forgot.
.
.
Alan Contreras