[obol] Deschutes County Wednesday Birders to Millican Valley

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:22:29 -0700

If you are going to get a flat tire, have Clay Crofton, Tom Lawler and
Howard Horvath along to do the deed. When the spare needed some air, and
none was at the "station" in Brothers, Clay knew to try the ODOT shop and
get air from them.  They were great. So we kept birding. Thanks guys.  The
morning was slow to get started. Eventually we started seeing thrushes and
meadowlarks. We saw a dozen Red tails before any other raptor species
appeared. The bluebirds were brilliant today, both Westerns and Mountain.
Raptors around Harman Road were all busy hunting on the ground. A male
Northern Harrier sat feasting while we drove by close to it. Sadly, a
Rough=legged Hawk had met it's demise recently, dead along the fenceline and
already predated.  Hundreds of Pronghorn Antelope today, nearly every place
we stopped. The coyotes must have new winter coats because they were just so
beautiful, busy hunting the same fields as the raptors.  Nice morning with
the expected species for this time of year.  We were seeing Belding's Ground
squirrels and Chipmunks scurrying around in many places.  So plenty of easy
pickings for those raptors.

List below, some birds with explanation. This report was mailed for Judy
Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

East of Bend, first stop along Moffit Road, then Brothers, Camp Creek, and
lastly Harman Road.
Bald Eagle = 3 or more Harman Rd
Northern Harrier = 4 or more
Sharp-shinned Hawk  = 1 hunting low on sage off Harman Rd
Cooper's Hawk = 2, one at WBU carpooling area, took a Cedar Waxwing
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk = 4 or more Harman Rd
Rough-legged Hawk = 4 or more Harman Rd
Golden Eagle = 3
American Kestrel
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Northern Shrike = one for sure, a juvie, brownish. Other bird was chasing
Solitaires, Shrike species. So 2 shrikes, one unidentified.

Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Horned Lark = big flock Harman  Rd but too distant to scrutinize, 200 or so
birds total

Canyon Wren  = Dry River Canyon overlook
Western Bluebird  = flock along Moffit
Mountain Bluebird  = lots around Harman
Townsend's Solitaire = off Harman
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing = WBU  while  shuffling out of cars
Spotted Towhee = Brothers "oasis"
Savannah Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Western Meadowlark
American Goldfinch = Brothers "oasis"
House Sparrow

Total number of species seen: 32
birders today: Clay Crofton, Steve Day, Marion Davidson, Tom Lawler, Jan
Rising, Tim
Smith and Nancy Abrams, Howard Horvath, Ted and Susan Groszkiewicz, Diane
Burgess, Sherrie Pierce, Tom Penpraze, Judy Meredith. Good birding, judy,
jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx