[obol] Lower Tualatin River Basin BAEA Nest Tree Lost

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 19:06:35 -0700

When I forwarded a high-wind warning to this group the other day I wasn't
sure if my cautionary tone was appropriate - especially since (we) birders
love severe weather events.

Having said that - the last thing I expected was the message I received
today from the Jeans about the loss of their Bald Eagle Nest Tree in the
wind storm. It was a 100+ year-old ponderosa pine, over 150' tall, which a
pairs of eagles called home for the past seven years.

The nest splintered into tiny fragments on impact and except for an
unscathed mole-trap, little-else of notable interest was discovered within
the remains of the nest.

On a fun non-birding note I learned (1800 pound) scottish long haired
cattle are docile and very approachable - especially if you're bearing the
gift of apples. Information I will incorporate into all plans to visit to
this wonderful farm in the future.

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/eagle_nest_tree_lost

--
Jack Williamson