[obol] Lane Coast birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:38:38 -0700

I birded around Florence most of today with Brandon Green and Sean Burns. We
walked the southern third of the deflation plain (well into the sandy zone) and
saw zero shorebirds, not even any flyovers. Lots of migrant swallows and a few
swifts. Lots of Savannah Sparrows and a few small wads of White-crowns. Plenty
of yellowthroats and at least one Orange-crown, all standard for that location.

The dog pond had two Least and an injured Western. The crab pier flats had the
same scruffo molting BB Plover that has been there for a couple of weeks, eight
Westerns and a WESTERN KINGBIRD actively foraging at the south end of the
flats. This is the first time I have ever seen a Western K in coastal Lane
County in the fall.

Small numbers of W Snipe were at several locations; they appear to be recent
arrivals.

Baker Beach Rd swamp had lots of V Rails, two calling Red-shouldered Hawks, a
singing Black Phoebe, a few x-bills, ONE Pine Siskin and one Tim Shelmerdine
migrating north.

The Great Escape of the day was the probable PYGMY NUTHATCH that was foraging
in a shore pine just east of the open stand of large willows about 1/3 of the
way out the dike to the d-plain. I saw it pretty well but I am not 100% sure.
I have seen some very pale Red-breasts lately at my feeder and this bird looked
like a Pygmy. I saw no eye-stripe, I thought I saw a pale area on the head and
it looked whitish-buff underneath. Unfortunately it was in the shade and
quickly flew. Imm. Red-breasted can be very pale underneath. Anyone who is in
that area should check it out. The trail in in good shape and in the morning
there is a lot of activity. By 11 things were quiet.

Sean and Brandon can add anything I forgot.

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

NOTE: Owing to my very heavy workload and travel schedule through December 5,
my response to your messages may take up to a week.