[obol] Klamath Co. Ibis photos

  • From: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:33:30 -0700

Hi all,

I'd be interested in any informed opinions on this bird, which was along
Township Road this morning with a couple hundred White-faced Ibis:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86916960@N07/

I was deliberately scanning though every ibis in the field, hoping for a
Glossy (perfect time for one to show up, and the flock was close to the
road in great light), when this one stuck out.

Things to note:

1. Facial skin is blue-gray, not pinkish red as all the White-faced
obviously showed.

2. Lacks any of the white facial edging of a White-faced in breeding
plumage.

3. Legs were slightly darker, except for the ankle joint, which was
pinkish. (This is easiest to see in the 4th photo, comparing with three
pink-legged White-faced Ibis in the background.)

4. Eye seemed darker in the field, though some of the photos show it as
reddish.

For these reasons, I don't think it's a pure White-faced Ibis. I
understand, from various sources, that hybrids should be considered
(although I can't find any references to proven hybrids, just speculation
on birds that appear halfway in between)...

Thoughts, anyone?

Noah Strycker