[obol] Re: Klamath Co. Ibis photos

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 04:42:21 +0000

Noah,

I can't see anything about this bird that suggests it's a hybrid. The face
pattern looks perfect for a Glossy.

Dave Irons

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:33:30 -0700
Subject: [obol] Klamath Co. Ibis photos
From: noah.strycker@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,
I'd be interested in any informed opinions on this bird, which was along
Township Road this morning with a couple hundred White-faced Ibis:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/86916960@N07/

I was deliberately scanning though every ibis in the field, hoping for a Glossy
(perfect time for one to show up, and the flock was close to the road in great
light), when this one stuck out.

Things to note:
1. Facial skin is blue-gray, not pinkish red as all the White-faced obviously
showed.
2. Lacks any of the white facial edging of a White-faced in breeding plumage.

3. Legs were slightly darker, except for the ankle joint, which was pinkish.
(This is easiest to see in the 4th photo, comparing with three pink-legged
White-faced Ibis in the background.)

4. Eye seemed darker in the field, though some of the photos show it as reddish.
For these reasons, I don't think it's a pure White-faced Ibis. I understand,
from various sources, that hybrids should be considered (although I can't find
any references to proven hybrids, just speculation on birds that appear halfway
in between)...

Thoughts, anyone?
Noah Strycker