[obol] Tryon Creek Pileated Woodpecker - Part II

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:50:37 -0700

While looking for owls in Tryon Creek State Park on 2 February 2014, I came
across a male Pileated Woodpecker in the early stages of excavating a
cavity on the w. side of a dead tree approximately 10 meters above the
ground. I am now happy to report that today I found both expecting-parents
sharing incubation duties within the same nest cavity. Given incubation
lasts about 18 days and the typical (3.83) offspring begin perching at the
entrance watching for the parents 20 days after hatching - my guesstimate
is that we can expect lively family shows to begin there sometime during
the week of May 12th. The time between switching-out incubation duties on
this day was exactly 60 minutes. Seven Images:

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2014/4/tryon-creek-pileated-woodpecker---part-ii

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon