[obol] Re: Bald Eagle Surprise!

  • From: Susan Deagle <sdeagle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lillian.e@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 23:26:03 -0800

Dear Lillian:

I may owe you a mea culpa!
If you knew me, you’d know I make these mistakes, too….I totally get that. I’m
not an expert. My husband was pretty convinced it was a goose, and I agreed (am
I throwing him under the bus, here??) but your eagle photo for comparison is
pretty convincing, too! And that reddish/orange spot is perplexing. Geese do
have black feet and legs, so….hmm. But it’s great fun to try and figure it all
out. Thank you for being a good sport about it all!

I did find two photos of geese in flight from behind…there aren’t many photos
from that view out there! They aren’t holding their wings like your mystery
bird, but if you are looking at the goose in flight, you do see a lot of white
from the underside. I’m still not sure! The first are cacklers (taken at
Ridgefield) and the second is a goose with a mute swan.

http://ridgefieldbirds.com/Images07Nov/ridgefield_NWR_cackling_geese_in_flight_11-13-07.jpg

<http://ridgefieldbirds.com/Images07Nov/ridgefield_NWR_cackling_geese_in_flight_11-13-07.jpg>

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-C8kwAeh3uHY/TZ-mVPT_zGI/AAAAAAAAFsI/CegZoM6Cpjc/s1600/Mute%2BSwan%252C%2BCanada%2BGoose%252C%2Bchase%2B1_2461.JPG

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-C8kwAeh3uHY/TZ-mVPT_zGI/AAAAAAAAFsI/CegZoM6Cpjc/s1600/Mute+Swan%2C+Canada+Goose%2C+chase+1_2461.JPG>