[obol] Re: Bald Eagle Surprise!

  • From: "R. Adney Jr." <rfadney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 19:59:10 -0800

My wife and I (along with a few others) watched from the Baskett Slough
overlook, an adult Bald Eagle standing below with two juveniles.  Suddenly the
adult took off and without even a splash, snagged a full size cackling goose
off  the water.  The gooses head was dangling within a couple seconds so I'm
certain the talons did their job.  And no, my camera was in the car!

Rich Adney

http://avianpics.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adneyvisualarts/
http://www.oregonimages.net

Subject: [obol] Re: Bald Eagle Surprise!
From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 16:23:38 -0800
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: lillian.e@xxxxxxxxxxx

It might be that the eagle was trying to flush the geese and then attack  over
land…I am not sure an eagle could kill one of the geese in the water and then
lift it away.  The hawk in the other photo is a Red-tail as you thought.
Jeff Gilligan