[oagitm] Re: iPad or the like

  • From: "Devore, David" <DavidDev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:38:52 -0800

Hi Paul,
Getting into such devices can be a real challenge. It really depends on how far
you want to be able to support them. In your example it sounds like just on the
internal wireless
System which is easier to support/secure than opening them up to full
connectivity via cellular access.

Historically Clackamas County supported our own GOOD and BES servers so we
could support County issued & personal Palm / Blackberry devices connecting to
our Exchange service.
However, as the IPhones and early Droids started to come out, we knew we would
forced down the ActiveSync road. We decided to drop Palm/GOOD altogether and
start supporting
Some models of ActiveSync devices - regardless of the "device" as phone / pad
or notebook - all have the same security nightmares and potential productivity
well beyond Exchange.

To secure and manage all our devices, including Blackberry, we purchased an
appliance from Mobile Iron (www.mobileiron.com<http://www.mobileiron.com>) that
we are currently implementing. We allow both County
Issued phones and personal devices (with management approval) to connect to the
Exchange service and soon will also support access to County applications via
Citrix (which we use for
Remote access to applications via SSL) and web applications. Our web team is
also working to redesign many of our applications to be supported on these
devices - the goal being to reduce
The need for laptops with air cards in the field and have staff perform
business functions via the phones/pads.

We also had to develop new policy around the use of such devices - especially
around security such as required passwords, ability to wipe lost devices, no
app downloading on County issued
Devices etc.  We are already supporting Iphones and some Ipads and are in the
process of announcing limited Droid support. We have had hit & miss success
with the various flavors of Droid based
phones and will only support a limited list of models to guarantee support. (ie
Motorola has worked well, LG has not)

This has been a real project, and will be on going to maintain security and
support. However, this is where the industry is going and there is a great
potential for staff communications and productivity.
So far, it is working very well and staff are asking for even more options.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Dave

Dave DeVore
daviddev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:daviddev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Deputy Information Officer                    Office : (503) 723-4996
Clackamas County                               121 Library Ct.
Technology Services                             Oregon City  OR  97045