[oagitm] Re: iPad or the like

  • From: "Larouche, Chip" <clarouche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:11:25 -0800

Yes, the gadget (<--not the real word) appeal of the IPAD is infectious to
senior executives and elected officials it appears.

We're testing one in Public Works who are using it to VPN back to the network
to use "as built" drawings.

We have two councilors who just got theirs for Christmas who will be testing
these at council meetings.  They'll be able to get the council packets from the
city website so there's no security issue with these.

Like IPhones, these things can usually be made to "remember" passwords which
users usually do IMMEDIATELY because they don't want to type them in each time,
making "lost or stolen" gadgets a problem...but nonetheless, I don't think
these are going to go away so we're supporting them with a smile! :)

v/r
Chip Larouche
Chief Technology Officer Â
Information Technology Department