Re: [nvda-translations] Grant Ideas

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 12:39:35 +0000

Hi,
I see a couple of things. First, some of the stuff on the page is definitely at
least under way. Second, if not part of this page, we need to know how much it
costs to keep Jamie and Mick employed for let's say an hour. I can then assume
something like 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and so on. Besides that, we want
to know how much it costs in overhead for stuff like expenses you have related
to NVDA. Any more thoughts?

Consider this a brain dump from me.

Um, is it easy to search through tickets and extrapolate what is finished and
what needs to get worked on? For example, even though I see through reading the
development list that you are working on Windows 8, I am unsure where we need
to go with, say, the rest of Windows 8, PowerPoint support, Excel support like
row and column header reading for single and multiple regions, single and
multiple rows and columns of cells, and so on, in Excel, MS Access support? And
what about the idea of something like organizing a hack fest to get a project
underway or completed? I know I'm rambling, but there are creative ways to do
stuff that cost less and can give a boost. And what about things volunteers who
are not quite as technical, or who stink at Python can do? Like I could help
update the web site, for instance, now that I'm starting to get to grips with
txt2tags.

It's my personal opinion that the site could be differently organized, possibly
search engine optimized, and so on. I don't know what kinds of Trac plug-ins or
tools might help with that kind of thing, but I know that I like doing web
marketing kinds of research, so why not put it to good use?  I say that,
because the higher NVDA ranks for related keywords, the easier it is going to
be for someone to find it and possibly help with it.

The kind of grant thing I am looking at in the last couple days is
http://www.kickstarter.com, which funds projects to which people from all over
the world can contribute. I thought we could take one project and I would build
a profile out there to see if we can get it funded. Projects out there can go
anywhere from a few hundred dollars to millions. They don't release the money
until a project is fully funded, so that means we'd need to have some basis on
which to make cost estimates.

OK, end of brain dump for now.

Thanks.

Jim

OK. Enough for now, I know that was a brain dump.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim