[nvda-addons] How to separate translations from code for addons?

  • From: Doug Lee <dgl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 18:40:28 -0400

My understanding is that, for NVDA and possibly for some if not all
addons, the coder ends up maintaining the translations even though
others actually do the translating. For various reasons, I strongly
prefer to manage just the English version and the foundation for
translators but not the text in each language. Is there a way to make
this work for NVDA addons?

Details in case they help:

My approach to writing addons, scripts, etc., tends to be this:

- I write the code in English, including messages.
- I do what I can to make translation easy for those who do it.
For NVDA, this means _() and init code etc.
- If there's anything unusually complex about translation, I write a guide
explaining it.
- I let others translate and post their translated versions as they wish.

Primary reasons I avoid managing translated text:

- I've had cases where translations said things I wouldn't say, but
only knew because I was told later.
- If I manage the text, people have to wait on me when a new language
is added. Since I rarely get to work on NVDA addons, this could mean
long delays.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like NVDA's approach to localization
requires that an addon include all translations within it. I'm hoping
there's another way to do this or that I misunderstand how things
normally work.

--
Doug Lee dgl@xxxxxxxx http://www.dlee.org
SSB BART Group doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.ssbbartgroup.com