[nvda-addons] Re: How to separate translations from code for addons?

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 08:50:38 -0700

Of course, it's your product at the end of the day, so this discussion may be purely academic for you and that's perfectly fine. However:

On 10/06/2015 4:53 PM, Doug Lee wrote:

I do understand that the nature of gettext itself is part of why
things work as they do for NVDA and addons. gettext is close to but
not quite the ideal I would like for localization management.
As I understand it, one of two things would work for you:
1. Separate versions of the add-on for every language. I think this results in serious fragmentation and actually makes things more difficult to manage in the end. Localised versions may even end up with different code because localiser x decided that they wanted certain features that weren't in the mainline. It's also totally infeasible for a centralised add-ons repository.
2. User installable language packs for add-ons; i.e. the user installs the add-on first, then separately installs the language pack of their choosing. This is probably possible with gettext, but it is somewhat less intuitive for the user and is also difficult to manage from a repository perspective.

You also mentioned forks, support problems, and old other-language
versions. In my experience (mostly from the Skype scripts), support
naturally forks with language anyway. A French version 1.3 while
English is at 1.4 therefore actually results in less confusion because
a person looking for French support finds 1.3 users.
Only if the versions are out of sync. Centralising translation avoids just this problem because everyone is always running the same version (and if they aren't, you can tell them to update). This also means other language versions are potentially always behind, which is what we see with other commercial screen readers. Bug fixes and feature requests also get ugly because everyone is making requests based on different versions.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Executive Director, NV Access Limited