[nvda-addons] Re: How to separate translations from code for addons?

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 16:35:22 -0700

On 10/06/2015 3:40 PM, Doug Lee wrote:

My understanding is that, for NVDA and possibly for some if not all
addons, the coder ends up maintaining the translations even though
others actually do the translating.
Not really. The coder does have to make a release if they want to include all new translations. However, assuming you're using a Git repository, you can just merge a branch provided by the translation system. This is true for both NVDA and add-ons.

- I let others translate and post their translated versions as they wish.
The problem with this is that it results in forks all over the place. It makes support difficult because people using languages other than English end up using old or modified versions. There's also no centralised place to get the add-on for all users.

- I've had cases where translations said things I wouldn't say, but
only knew because I was told later.
That is certainly a risk that applies even to NVDA. We have to trust to some extent, but also, we can make it clear that translations are provided by others and simply remove the translation if anything bogus is reported.

- If I manage the text, people have to wait on me when a new language
is added. Since I rarely get to work on NVDA addons, this could mean
long delays.
You aren't managing the text, just merging the changes and making a release. If even that is not something you will have time to do (which I can certainly understand), perhaps you may be able to find someone to volunteer to make releases for you when there are a significant number of translation changes.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like NVDA's approach to localization
requires that an addon include all translations within it.
Correct.

I'm hoping
there's another way to do this
There isn't.