[networkku] Re: WoW

  • From: "Baneddar" <baneddar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <networkku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:03:01 -0400 (EDT)

True that D1/D2 were hackfests, but only becuase of the nature of the
games.  Both of those were single player games that had online and
battle.net gameplay tagged onto them.  Without going too much into the
computer geeky reasons behind this, it's about where character data is
stored, who gets to manage it, and what roles will the client have.  In
most MMORPG's, server is where it all happens and client simply gets to
view what's happening on the server.  Since D1/D2 were single player
engines that already had all the toon handling stuff, they probably left
much of that control on the client, opening them to mega hacking...

Their servers are right next to where I live here in VA.  This area was
location of first national internet backbone (when it was still owned by
the gov), so many companies host their online services off it.  What
happened was, we got to experience Ivan's leftovers and enjoy some
tornados that went through the area.  Apparently, one of them hit the
place where they host WoW beta servers and it had some damage.  The
"campus" where I work was also hit, weird when you see your office on the
news...  Think I need to walk around and see what was damaged. ;)