[ncsc-moths] Question and ID request

  • From: Lois Stacey <croakie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:44:54 -0500

I've been looking at Merrill's pictures to try and pin down some of my moths, at least to give me an area to look for those I have trouble with on MPG (I know they may not be the same as our habitats are so different). In doing that, Merrill has some species that I can't find on MPG, usually with a decimal and number after the Hodges number. My question is how to know these species/subspecies exist if they're not on MPG? The first pic below is the one that keyed me to this. On Merrill's page he has 9893.2 L. joannis. I can't find this on MPG or bugguide to compare pictures with mine to see if they match (it appears to match Merrill's fairly closely).

Second, I'm attaching a picture that I have tentatively identified as Roland's Sallow, 10014 – Psaphida rolandi . Any other suggestons?

Thanks.

--
Lois Stacey
North Augusta, SC (Aiken Cnty)