[ncsc-moths] Re: Moth ID

  • From: "parker backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:56:33 -0500

Paul - Do you have additional photos/angles of this guy?  It looks a lot
like Spodoptera exigua (Small Mottled Willow or Beet Webworm Moth - 9665)
but I wouldn't call it that for sure based on just this photo.  The
placement and size of the orbicular and reniform spots is good, proportions
are o.k. (it looks a little foreshortened by the angle at which the photo
was taken), and the reflectivity matches my experience with that species.
It can be quite variable in appearance, from light to dark and from very
well marked to almost completely unmarked.

For what it's worth, a lot of "I just can't figure this one out!" moths
often turn out to be this species.

Parker

  _____