[ncsc-moths] Re: Lithophane question

  • From: "parker backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:47:07 -0500

All:

I've been very interested in this discussion as well and thought I'd add
another piece of information that might help fill out the picture.  I, too,
photographed a moth about this time last year that looked to me to fit L.
petulca perfectly (the photos are still labeled as such due to sloth on my
part-see attached).  But what little range info I could find about that
species did not lead me ultimately in that direction.  Just like any smart
naturalist would do . I turned to someone with a lot more knowledge than I.
I sent my images to Bo Sullivan who with Steve Hall knows as much about
moths in NC as anyone.  Here is his response (I'm not quite sure what he
meant to say in the last sentence):

"The Lithophane looks like patefacta to me.  It comes in this marked and
also in an unmarked form (lacking the rusty areas).  Of course petulca and
signosa have two forms also but they tend to be larger and sort of washed
over with dirty brown.  They are mostly in the mountains as is patefacta but
it is the most common Lithophane in the piedmont and coastal plain.  It is
also not patefacta but an undescribed new species.  Bo."

I hope that helps a little bit.

naturalist would do . I turned to people with more knowledge than I.  Never
having baited for moths I very simply combined recipes offered up here by
Lance and Merrill and came up with a concoction that seemed to work pretty
well.  I took two rotten bananas and mashed them up as best I could with a
fork (I didn't want to dirty up a blender if I could help it).  To that I
added brown sugar, molasses, and stale beer (Red Stripe, though I'm fairly
sure that others would work as well) as well as a dash of rum.  The mixture
sat in my garage for a week or so before conditions-a very mild night-got me
off the couch and into the field.  I painted the mixture onto a dozen trees
lining a path beside my house.

The results were decent enough for a first attempt.  I had more than a dozen
Straight-toothed Sallows (Eupsilia vinulenta - 9933), a couple of Roadside
Sallows (Metaxaglaea viatica - 9944), a couple of Green Cloverleaf Moths
(Hypena scabra - 8465), and, the last moth of the night, an Ashen Pinion
(Lithophane antennata - 9910), a new species for me.  There was also a small
noctuid that flew off when I approached it at one of the trees.  It was
interesting to note that light did flush over half of the moths away-most
simply folded up their legs and dropped to the leaf litter on the ground.

The mixture did not go very far-I'm almost out after one application-but
I'll mix up a new batch soon.  Thanks to Lance and Merrill and Paul for
their recommendations.  I'll be interested to try rope dipped in a cheap
white wine/sugar mix hung from tree branches.

Good mothing, all.

Parker Backstrom

  _____