[ncsc-moths] Lithophane question

  • From: lance biechele <ltb0076@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:55:00 -0800 (PST)

Dear Ed,

   Actually there may be three moths involved with Lois & Ken's
report of L. petcula.  There seems to be very similar wing patterns
with your Southern form of L. patefacta, while L. hemina and L.
signosa are also very close look-alikes..
   I recall a note from Dale Schweitzer concerning my photographs of
Lithophanes here on the Delmarva.  There is a masquarding Lithophane
disposita that is quite common here, but actually that species does not
occur this far south on the Coastal Plain.
   Unfortunately, that moth still remains unidentified although the "pic"
certainly resembles L. disposita.
   Such are the ways of moth people!
With all Best Regards,
Lance