[ncsc-moths] Re: Moth ID

  • From: piephofft@xxxxxxx
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:54:45 -0500 (EST)

I have quite a few of the females on my porch screen every night. I don't know
how many individuals (males and females) others are seeing, but in Mecklenburg
County this species has become a defoliating urban pest of willow oaks that has
required aerial spraying. Last year there was a constant raining of droppings
from the caterpillars in the treetops of my yard for weeks in the spring. You
couldn't walk outside without getting hundres of the pepper-like droppings in
your hair (One case where baldness is more desirable than hair...they just
bounced off my noggin). Anyway, I see up to 50 individuals every night. And
three nights ago I had 32 Toothed Phigalia on my screen.

Taylor Piephoff
Charlotte, NC
PiephoffT@xxxxxxx