[ncsc-moths] Re: Merrill

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 09:25:11 -0400

Cecelia,

You can purchase a complete light trap including a UV bulb at Bioquip
here:  http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2851A.  If
you plan to use the rig away from an AC power source, make sure you
purchase the model that has a DC connection.  You will also have to
purchase a battery.  I bought mine at Batteries Plus and it is a very
lightweight 12V that has 18 amp-hour capacity which will power a 15W
UV light all night.

Of course, you can make one using stuff you can buy at the local
hardware store a good bit cheaper.  If you're not interested in
actually catching moths, you can order just a UV bulb with a DC
connection along with a battery.  Bioquip sells this as well.  Just
hang the light next to a sheet anywhere in the woods.

Good luck.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch