[ncsc-moths] Merrill

  • From: "Cecelia" <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 01:53:37 -0400

Merrill,

Can you please tell me where I can buy the kind of mobile UV lights you
described below?

Thanks,
Cecelia Mathis

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:57 PM, J. Merrill Lynch <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

  Moth'ers,

  I've spent the past three nights helping Dr. Bo Sullivan collect moths
  at various sites in the Amphibolite Mountains of northwestern NC (Ashe
  and Watauga Counties).  Loads of fun and interesting to sample
  specific habitats at high elevations (4,000-5,000 feet).  We used
  mobile UV lights powered by small batteries placed near interesting
  habitats.  I learned a lot by being able to examine specimens in the
  hand.  We collected a number of species that I have not recorded on my
  farm plus many familiar ones.  Many of the specimens will be sent in
  for barcoding which will be very helpful in sorting out various
  species complexes including a number of undescribed ones.

  Merrill

  --
  J. Merrill Lynch
  Echo Valley Farm