[ncsc-moths] Moth Collecting in the Boone, NC area

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:57:36 -0400

Moth'ers,

I've spent the past three nights helping Dr. Bo Sullivan collect moths
at various sites in the Amphibolite Mountains of northwestern NC (Ashe
and Watauga Counties).  Loads of fun and interesting to sample
specific habitats at high elevations (4,000-5,000 feet).  We used
mobile UV lights powered by small batteries placed near interesting
habitats.  I learned a lot by being able to examine specimens in the
hand.  We collected a number of species that I have not recorded on my
farm plus many familiar ones.  Many of the specimens will be sent in
for barcoding which will be very helpful in sorting out various
species complexes including a number of undescribed ones.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm