[ncsc-moths] Watauga County, NC Moths--6 July 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 09:47:42 -0400

Moth'ers,

Last night I had a really cool Noctuid in the subfamily Heliothinae,
Pyrrhia exprimens (Purple-lined Sallow) 11064.  I've also attached a
photo of one of my absolute favorite moths, Habrosyne scripta
(Lettered Habrosyne) 6235, taken last night at my house.

With the help of Bo Sullivan, I also had the great fortune of
capturing Habrosyne gloriosa (Glorious Habrosyne) 6236 at a nearby
nature preserve on Monday night.  I'd never seen gloriosa.  The two
species are very similar; gloriosa has a sharp 90 degree bend in the
am line whereas scripta has a more step-like bend.  Gloriosa (at least
this particular individual) has a pinkish background tint which I've
never seen on scripta.  The foodplants are different as well:  scripta
feeds on purple-flowering raspberry and gloriosa specializes on
ninebark.  Both plants occur almost exclusively in the mountains.
I've attached photos of both for comparison purposes.

I've also attached a photo of the homemade moth trap that Bo Sullivan
designed and we used last weekend.

Good mothing,

--
J. Merrill Lynch