[ncolug] menuconfig - thanks David

  • From: Bryan Savage <theOnlyLinuxGuy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:04:40 -0500

David Fierbaugh wrote:

This is not something I would expect 'Joe User' to do, but as you'll see, this takes no programming knowledge, and is not kernel hacking by any but the largest stretch of the imagination.

Anyone who's never configured or compiled a kernel before should try this:
Open a terminal (shell window/command prompt). Your prompt should be a dollar sign, do the following:
$ su (su changes user to root)
password (enter the root password)
#cd /usr/src/linux (change to the kernel source directory)
#make menuconfig (this will start the curses GUI kernel configurator)

If you've never seen this, then you have no idea how amazingly simple it is to recompile a kernel with out all the unnecessary drivers. Unless you know what you're doing (or really want to learn), I wouldn't save the configuration on exiting. If you really want to learn about this, google for a distro specific howto on kernel configuration.

This is a good point, David. I've never used 'make menuconfig' even though I've read about it before. I assume that the kernel source has to be installed, which is an optional package on most distros I've used. You've inspired me to learn something new.

Thanks!
Bryan

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field