[ncolug] Small Linux Distros [Topic fork, was minix3]

  • From: David Fierbaugh <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:20:55 -0500

Here's some references for small linux distros:
This doesn't include source distros (Gentoo!!) that are only as big as you
make them.

DSL - Damn Small Linux
As of yesterday, V2.0RC2 is out
<50MB, boots from flashdrive, business card CD, etc
From the http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ website:
"DSL is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution."

Puppy Linux
<50MB --- SAA
http://www.puppylinux.org/home/
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/puppy3/page2.htm  <-- good place to look

uCLinux (I would call it micro linux, they pronounce it U-C-linux)
prominent Embedded Linux distro
http://www.uclinux.org/

Insert
Essentially, bootable mini-CD (<35MB) with GUI, target is system recovery
tools, etc
http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

RIP - Recovery is Possible
Floppy linux boot disk
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Tomsrtbt
"The most GNU/Linux on 1 floppy disk."
http://www.toms.net/rb/

MiniBSD (yes, BSD)
More of a howto than a distro as we think of it
I've given thought to doing something similiar for linux.
https://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field