[ncolug] Re: Native Broadcom Drivers

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:30:23 -0400

Horrifying, shocking confession.... I don't build my own kernel. I only have once or twice, and that was just for the fun of it. I've just never had the reason.

Perhaps some day someone will show me the light. For now, I'm happy with my stock kernel (as bloated as it may be).

Mike K.

Chuck Stickelman wrote:
I too am having trouble with the bcm43xx driver.
I downloaded kernel sources for linux-2.6.17.3 and built it using make-kpkg. I think I have all of the dependencies met, yet I too get error messages.
This is on my Acer laptop (that forces me to run XP to write this message... yuk!)

I can provide more details in a future message...
Chuck

M. Knisely wrote:

I'm typing this message via the bcm43xx driver. I had no issues with it, but I'm using Ubuntu and it just showed up with a kernel upgrade.

I've not messed with WPA. I run my home AP open and use a VPN for my security. Does it work without WPA?

I have had some fun with getting an Invalid AP. " iwconfig eth1 ap any" takes care of that for me.

I'll check through the errors and see if I can see anything that stands out.

Mike K.

Michael Goracke wrote:

Has anyone had any luck with installing the new native bcm43xx drivers?
I have them installed but I'm having trouble connecting using WPA.

I followed the instructions given on this page for Fedora Core 5 kernel
2.6.17-1.2157_FC5

http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras/

I get the following error when I try to start the wpa_supplicant service.

[root@localhost ~]# service wpa_supplicant start
Starting wpa_supplicant: ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
Could not configure driver to use managed mode
ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
                                                           [FAILED]
I also get this message when I do "iwconfig".

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device dev0 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...

dev0      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"NSA_FIELD_OPS"
Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.422 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Could "some of the things that might be broken" include WPA?

MikeG

Subject field.