[ncolug] Re: Native Broadcom Drivers

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:54:28 -0400

I'm typing this message via the bcm43xx driver. I had no issues with it, but I'm using Ubuntu and it just showed up with a kernel upgrade.

I've not messed with WPA. I run my home AP open and use a VPN for my security. Does it work without WPA?

I have had some fun with getting an Invalid AP. " iwconfig eth1 ap any" takes care of that for me.

I'll check through the errors and see if I can see anything that stands out.

Mike K.

Michael Goracke wrote:
 Has anyone had any luck with installing the new native bcm43xx drivers?
I have them installed but I'm having trouble connecting using WPA.

 I followed the instructions given on this page for Fedora Core 5 kernel
2.6.17-1.2157_FC5

http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras/

I get the following error when I try to start the wpa_supplicant service.

[root@localhost ~]# service wpa_supplicant start
Starting wpa_supplicant: ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
Could not configure driver to use managed mode
ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
                                                           [FAILED]
I also get this message when I do "iwconfig".

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device dev0 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...

dev0      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"NSA_FIELD_OPS"
Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.422 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Could "some of the things that might be broken" include WPA?

MikeG

Subject field.