[ncolug] Re: Native Broadcom Drivers

  • From: Nathan Teague <fourteagues@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:34:02 -0400

Hey I know you guys are all locked in on your specific distros, but you might be happy to know that Gentoo has support, albeit testing, for the bcm43xx driver specifically... check http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=bcm43xx . And Chuck, since you are big on control and version stability, you should really read up on the USE flags if you haven't... This seems to reverberate a lot of the ethos I've heard from you in what a system should do, or allow you to do... Like maintaining support for a protocol or driver throughout, and it remaining automatic. (i.e. you can USE flag opengl, and instead of digging with apt for opengl everytime you install a package, everything you build that can have opengl does.

You can also explicitly deny support for unstable versions of programs. I remember sitting in class taking 45 mins. sifting through searches in aptitude looking for neat python support in different things... or taking out GNOME libraries from GTK resources. and this hits it on the head.

Chuck Stickelman wrote:

In an ideal world, the need to build new kernels would be minimal. Most new kernels support initrd - the initial ramdisk. By building your own initrd you can choose which kernel modules are available at boot time. I used to think that initrd was unnecessary additional baggage, but I've come to embrace it as a nice way to avoid building tons of modules into a kernel. Of course we have to statically link the module(s) needed to access the storage device that contains the initrd image, but that's about all we need (other than some of the core modules that all kernels need...)

A possible meeting topic could be building kernels, modules, and/or initrd images. I suspect that this is considered "magic" by many users, yet it does lead to some interesting revelations regarding how our systems really work.

Chuck

larry wrote:

He is not talking about building the kernel, just the kernel module. Even I do that.

M. Knisely wrote:

Horrifying, shocking confession.... I don't build my own kernel. I only have once or twice, and that was just for the fun of it. I've just never had the reason.

Perhaps some day someone will show me the light. For now, I'm happy with my stock kernel (as bloated as it may be).

Mike K.

Chuck Stickelman wrote:

I too am having trouble with the bcm43xx driver.
I downloaded kernel sources for linux-2.6.17.3 and built it using make-kpkg. I think I have all of the dependencies met, yet I too get error messages.
This is on my Acer laptop (that forces me to run XP to write this message... yuk!)

I can provide more details in a future message...
Chuck