[muglo] Re: start up problem

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 16:28:53 -0400

Perhaps to head of more than one thing:  No one answered the obvious
first question of where do I get Disk First Aid.  Paul could (and
likely should have answered because I know he has the knowledge) that
Disk First Aid (DFA) is provided when installing Mac OS X or most
system software going back to at least 8.1 if not earlier.  It is
currently found in the Applications: Utilities folder.  Unfortunately
it does not allow you to repair the boot volume only to verify and
repair permissions so you would have to use the install disks to boot
(not all of us have them) or boot from another OS X volume attached to
the computer and then run DFA from there.  Alternatively there is a
much cheaper albeit scary way to do this. Restart the computer while
holding down the apple key (see previous discussion on this topic in
the MUGLO archives) and the S key (or Command-S if you prefer).

You will end up in a pre-loading OS X mode - and it is all text!  At
some point the text will stop loading and you will get a root# prompt
or a localhost# prompt.  At that point you type in fsck -fy

then press the return key  {note these are the letters f, s, c, and k,
a space, a hyphen, then the letters f and y  fsck -fy} .  This will
check the disk on which OS X is installed and any problems will be
reported and repaired (if possible).  If there were any repairs it will
say **** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ***.

If this happens type in fsck -fy a second time.  If every thing is OK
then it will say "Whatever your hard drive name is"  appears to be OK.

At that point type in the command exit at the # prompt and boot up into
OS X will continue as normal.  You may have to fsck -fy several times.
I have had to use this on a number of occasions on different computers
and have only had to do fsck -fy twice (the initial time and then a
second time if repairs were made).

This means you don't have to boot from a second disk.

If at the end of this there are still issues there may be bigger
problems than what DFA can address and purchasing another repair
utility may be necessary.  There are a number of different programs
available, two of the more popular ones are Disk Warrior and Tech Tools
Pro.

[rant start]
To respond to Joe - purchasing something locally allows you to go back
to the retailer to get advice on how to use the product etc.  not as
easy on line.  If I spend 2 hours with you to solve the problem during
which time a customer(s) walks in and walks out I lose a potential
sale.  Perhaps the charge for buying the software from me includes some
of this 'hidden' cost of doing business.

If it's cheap you want go to the dollar store and get the Colgate (?)
toothpaste for a dollar a tube - at least your teeth won't freeze!  Or
perhaps purchase that extra cheap pet food - your vet will love you for
it too!  Not so sure about your pet though. [rant end]

Martin