[muglo] Muglo Meetings

  • From: Barry Takayesu <barryt99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:01:46 -0500

Open Letter to Terry:

Hi Terry:

I was hoping to push some of the members into participating and
helping with the meetings - since I know what it takes to put them
together. However, when asked, we got a perspective that showed why
some never attend or even have a desire to attend. With this
knowledge, we can do one of two things: Stop knocking our heads
against a wall or address the area that the Muglo Meetings can do
better than the internet -

1. Focus on Show and Tell topics that would be difficult or impossible
to deal with on the internet.

2. Mentoring exchanges. By exchanges I mean one could take a small or
large part of a topic and share what it does - either to the group or
to just one other person who wants to learn about it. A great example
is what Wayne proposed - to show hidden and useful features of
applications that we use all the time. But EVERYONE must be willing to
contribute - perhaps not each meeting, but definitely participate.

3. Some members talked about Meetings vs. Forums. I don't think we
need to think in terms of Either/Or; but rather augmenting what we
gain from the internet with things that cannot be seen/explained
easily through the internet.

4. I like the attempt that Microsoft tried to introduce their Windows
7 with their Tupperware style party. No one person was shouldered with
presenting the whole topic, but all the participants had an aspect to
study and share with the group.

5. I'm probably closer to being a hermit than most of you, but I abhor
the fact that an increasing number of our society makes social contact
through a 10 x 15 screen. Remember as kids we used to go outside with
friends to talk and play - the new generation 'talks' with each other
by texting and 'play' is on an Xbox. I think that's sad, but then
again I think Rap is sad. Guess I'm getting to be a grumpy old coot.

PS- I agree with what Doug R and Doug F had to say about meetings
along with Wayne's thoughts. Maybe if there are only a few of us, we
could just meet at the Coffee Shop or at a winter BBQ at Terry's.

OK, so how big a booth do we need or should we bring hotdogs?<G>

grump
& btw Merry Christmas