[muglo] Re: Meeting

  • From: joseph nolan <josephnolan1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:05:03 -0500

Barry, et al.
       I will be there, albeit a bit late. I have been hesitant to get involved
in the email fray as I subscribe to the philosophy that if you are not part of
the solution, you're part of the problem.  There are several reasons why
meetings have been losing their popularity, lack of professionalism being part
of it. Everyone expects the leadership to plan all the meetings, make sure
everything is set up, and all the membership has to do is come in and be
entertained (and if some can get a ride to the meeting, that would be fine
too). Barry, Terry, and I just went to a Watrmug meeting last week. At 6:45,
the projector was humming with the website of the presentation, the raffle
tickets were being sold, and people were plugging in their laptops browsing
over a handout of the night's topic. The closest thing we had to that this year
was Andy Skuse's presentation. Then people griped about MD having commercial
motives in having the meetings and training in the store (Note= Workshops at
the Apple stores in cities that have them are not exactly held for altruistic
reasons either).
        When we have new members at meetings, the last thing they need to see
is people arguing about the London Mac Users book of Exodus as to who begat
who, or to be sitting around watching someone looking for the right cable for
15 minutes into the meeting, or a view of someone's complete I-photo library in
slide show mode. We need people to gather upon their strengths and provide
prepared, professional presentations.
          My suggestion for tomorrow is to prepare an agenda of topics for the
rest of the year, vote on them, and take ownership. Further, if you cannot
attend the meetings, don't become part of the leadership. If you do attend
meetings and want leadership, consider becoming part of that leadership. If you
don't attend meetings, but only gripe online, you get what you pay for. Now you
have my 2 cents.. Let the flaming begin!

Best wishes,
Joe Nolan