[muglo] Re: Installing firmware in OS 9

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:06:50 -0500

Hi Lee, ya, I learned a bit about OS 9 password protection from
Eric's reply to you, on-list. It might be best for us to make this an
on-list conversation, so that everyone can read and maybe contribute.
So, I'll send the email that I'm writing now to you and also to the
MUGLO list.

At 9:43 PM -0500 3/6/05, Lee Dickey wrote:

>Thank you VERY much for writing back.  you asked how they are running 9
>and how is they are asked  for passwords.  Well there are two ways to run
>9, as I understand it.
>
>One is to set the startup disk to be OSX, version 10.2.8
>Startup with that, and then, from inside 10.3, startup OS 9.
>This works smoothly. No OS 10 user is asked for an OS 9 passoword.

Understood.

>The other way is specify the startup disk to be 9.2.2. Shut down OS X.
>Restart the computer.
>
>This is where we are in trouble.  Main user on os 9 is not the main user
>on OS 10 (name change, there) It was changed from something like
>"Jones Family" to "Mother Jones".   Sadly the old password for the
>"Family" has been forgotten. Mom never logged in, only the kids, and
>they, of course know their passwords, but they do not have enough
>privileges.

Hmm, I see. I'm still a bit surprised to hear of some sort of
"log-in" password for 9 - I know a bit about the "multiple
user/keychain" thing that can be used for file security, etc, but I
never heard anything about log-in security. Then again, I am the sole
user of my Mac, so I never paid too much attention to this stuff.
FWIW, I looked in Apple Support and found this discussion:
<http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/webx?14@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@.68a72488/0>
So, it looks like you might try trashing the pref file for Multiple Users.

>At this point we have a dead end. But no, we can do this:
>Put in a CD for OS X, reset startup to be OS X on the hard drive
>and away we go again.

Yep, but it's an OS 9 boot that you need, in order to do the firmware
update, if necessary, right?

>I am thinking that perhaps if I simply remove the file called "Login"
>from the System Folder, I might bypass the nasty gatekeeper.  Any
>comments on this action?

Sorry, I just don't know about that. I'd deal with the pref file I
mentioned earlier, first. Meanwhile, I'm still a bit curious about
the necessity for a firmware update. Do you know what the current
firmware version is?

  Mary