[muglo] Re: Installing firmware in OS 9

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:24:48 -0500

Hmm. Since they have an iMac G3 they have an OS 8, 8.5, or 9 startup disk.

1. They should place the FirmWare update in a place where they can
find it on their hard drive.

2. Insert OS 8/9 installer CD into CD-ROM.

3. Restart computer whilst holding down the c key, or, select the CD
from within the Startup Disk preferences pane.

4. Run FirmWare updater.

If they want to disable the password in OS 9 they will have to go into
their Extensions folder and disable the appropriate extensions/control
panels or find the right preferences file and delete it. Unfortunately
it's been so long since I've used OS 9 (and I never used the password
feature since it's quite unstable) so I can't remember (off the top of
my head) how to disable passwords.

And, no passwords are not the same between OS 9 and X. OS 9's password
protection was a complete *joke*. I could disable it with about two
minutes of effort (most of that time spent waiting for the system to
reboot ;). OS X's password protection can be circumvented but it's not
quite as easy, especially if encrypted homes are used (I hope... I
don't know if you can lose your encrypted home directory if you forget
your password... I hope *so* because otherwise encrypted home is
worthless... just pop in an OS X boot CD and you can reset the
password).

Eric.