[muglo] Re: Installing firmware in OS 9

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:27:47 -0500

At 5:44 PM -0500 3/6/05, Lee Dickey wrote:

>I am having some trouble and need some help.
>
>I have some friends who want to upgrade their iMac from 10.2 to 10.3.
>They have an iMac 400 (slot type) running 10.2.8.  To make the upgrade
>to 10.3, they need to install firmware 4.1.9.

Hi Lee,

Coincidentally, I am pretty well-informed about firmware for that
particular Mac model, having done some research on it earlier today
in order to advise a user on an iMac discussion list that I am on.

Question: What is the firmware version currently on their iMac? (I'm
gonna guess: 4.1.7.) I know that Apple's info states that that model
of Mac should have version 4.1.9. I also know that there are users
who have version 4.1.7, who installed OS X and have not seen the
disastrous video problem associated with failing to update the
firmware to 4.1.9. I'm guessing that if your friends can run Jaguar
without a problem, then they will have no problem with Panther
either. But, of course, it would be ideal if they could update the
firmware to 4.1.9, if possible.

>The instructions are to startup from OS 9.2.2.  They have this,
>and they have used 9.2.2 to run some applications in the past.

Well, that's a bonus. Because, of course, if a firmware update is
necessary, it would be much more difficult without 9 installed.

>However they have never started up from 9.2.2 since they moved
>to OS 10.  They have changed their passwords in OS 10, but when
>trying to startup from 9.2.2, they are asked for a password which
>is now long forgotten.  OS9 apparently does not inherit password
>changes that have been made in OS X !

Now this, I cannot help you with. It seems odd to me that a launch of
OS 9 would/could/ be password protected. By what means are they
attempting to start in 9 instead of X? In other words - where are
they being asked to input a password?

  Mary