[muglo] Re: Help! Did I fry my HD?

  • From: Barry Takayesu <barryt99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:18:29 -0400

   - I think the safest progression to recovery might be to get information
   from the creators of Drive Genius.
   - Maybe using their key combo to properly stop or abort the incessant
   repeating of the DO-like text. But by turning the computer off during
   defragmenting and then restarting with an external boot, I might have done
   as much damage as I can already. The saving grace might be that my internal
   disk was almost full and had about 1+Gb left in a 160Gb drive. My theory is
   that only 1% or less of the data might have been in transit when disaster
   hit... at least that's the optimistic interpretation. One percent sounds
   small, but over 1Gb is still a lot. But I'm guessing that MBP wouldn't
   shuffle that much at a crack.
   - Or as Crandall suggested - maybe use Data Rescue which also came with
   the apps bundle (also buried in the defunct drive).
   - I've always liked Disk Warrior since it has been widely touted as
   safe, reliable and less intrusive as many repair programs have been.
   - And yes I do (or did) use Time Machine on 1 external drive - but
   hadn't bothered to plug it in for the last couple weeks. So right now, it's
   as good as a smoke detector with no battery.
   - I also have a 2nd external drive that I used Carbon Copy Clone or
   SuperDuper, but how do I tell which? And once again, I hadn't plugged it in
   for a couple weeks...

Regarding the iPad. My friend is in Ottawa and of course wouldn't be
carrying a 'brick' with her, so when she returns to Toronto this coming
week, she is going to try the fix. I'll keep you posted.

I hope calamity doesn't come in 3s, I'd llken this episode to a shoe drop
image since they only come in 2s.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You know these things come in threes; you have one more coming. Did you
> un-brick that iPad?
> For problem #2, the only thing I can suggest is a full erase and clean
> install of Snow with a migration of data from Time Machine, which
> apparently you don't use.

Barry