[muglo] Re: Help! Did I fry my HD?

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:44:41 -0400

You know these things come in threes; you have one more coming. Did you un-brick that iPad? For problem #2, the only thing I can suggest is a full erase and clean install of Snow with a migration of data from Time Machine, which apparently you don't use. Kinda makes you wish you did use it? If you need some kind of restore program that you want to try, let me know, as I probably have it.

Dang!

I know that I don't need to defragment my MBP, but the program Drive Genius 3 came in a bundle of 10 apps that I thought, what harm could it do? Besides, it might be helpful...

As the program started, my screen did a pictoral depiction of my full disk..yes, full. Then it changed to text mode - much like the DOS screens of old, but with black background and white lettering (maybe Terminal mode?). Oh, oh. I don't like that term 'Terminal'. It chugged away, and much later, I realized that it was repeating several (maybe 4 or 5) lines of text - over and over and over. At that point I did recall seeing a couple instructional shortcuts prior to executing the Drive Genius program. One key combination was to stop the program and the other was to abort. Now I don't remember either of those commands. Anyone know them?

My last backup was about 2 weeks ago, but who would have thought I did so much since then Stuff that I really want back? I shoulda, shoulda, shoulda...

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.
(519) 860-2725 cell