[muglo] Re: Bootable OS 9 for used G4

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:58:35 -0400

So you do have full OSes and installs of the OS on the multi-session CD?

FYI: A multi-session CD should not interfere with the ability of one
of the partitions to boot!

I suggest you do the following if you have no already tried this:
1. Insert the multi-session CD which contains your OS 9 and OS 9.2.2
sessions (is 9.2.2 a real installer or is it an upgrade?).
2. Open System Preferences:Startup Disk
3. If the CD appears as a bootable disk, select it.

If the above does not work, you might be able to extract the session
from the multisession CD and burn it to CD, PROVIDED the OS 9 or OS
9.2.2 session you copy contains a System Folder!!!!

1. Open Disk Utility
2. Insert multisession CD
3. Select the appropriate session of the CD and make a disk image out of it.
4. Save the disk image to your HD.

5. (if you have Toast) Open Toast and burn the iso to disk (likely
you'll have to select 'copy' disk or something to that effect -- you
DO NOT want to burn the FILE to a disk. You want to burn the IMAGE to
the disk). Select the 'bootable' option.

5. (if you lack Toast) Stay in Disk Utility.
6. Burn the newly created ISO to a new CD. (don't know if there's an
option to create bootable CDs in Disk Utility)

Next thought...

All right, lets start from the beginning:
1. Why do you want to "reformat" (you're actually erasing it...
reformatting is technically a different operation) your "OS 9
partition"?
2. Is it a real partition, SEPARATE from your OS X partition?

If the answer to 2 is YES then all you have to do is ERASE the disk
from OS X's Disk Utility application.

But, I still question why you're doing this. If you plan to install
Mac OS 9 MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN BOOT INTO OS 9 BEFORE YOU REFORMAT THE
PARTITION!!!

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/