[muglo] Re: Bootable OS 9 for used G4

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:33:49 -0400

Stuff snipped...

> >All right, lets start from the beginning:
> >1. Why do you want to "reformat" (you're actually erasing it...
> >reformatting is technically a different operation) your "OS 9
> >partition"?
>
> The G4 OS9 partition has information on it from the previous owner.
> I just thought the quickest and easiest thing to do was to erase the
> OS 9 portion of the disk.

You are correct! It is the quickest and best way to eliminate any
'cruft' left by the previous owner.

> >2. Is it a real partition, SEPARATE from your OS X partition?
>
> Yes, the OS 9 partition is separate.

Good! Makes it easy.

> >If the answer to 2 is YES then all you have to do is ERASE the disk
> >from OS X's Disk Utility application.
> >
> >But, I still question why you're doing this. If you plan to install
> >Mac OS 9 MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN BOOT INTO OS 9 BEFORE YOU
> >REFORMAT THE PARTITION!!!
>
> Yes, I can boot into OS9.  However, to reinstall the software, I
> gather I would have to have an OS9 version with the System Folder?
> Or can I simply erase the OS9 partition from the OS 10 startup part,
> then reinstall OS 9 without the System Folder?

No, you cannot reinstall OS 9 without having a bootable OS 9 disk or
the appropriate Mac OS X installer disk (I could be wrong -- I have
yet to install Classic under OS X 10.4... I no longer have Classic
installed on our every-day computers and the last time it ran on my
server was 91 days 10 hours 11 minutes ago (last time it was used to
load YellowDogLinux... Mac OS 9 is needed to start Linux) ;-)).

You might try this:

1. Boot into OS 9

2. Download DiskCopy 6 from <http://tinyurl.com/ytocv>
(<http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html>).

3. Make a ~200 MB disk image, save it on your Mac OS X partition and
make sure it's writeable.

4. Mount the image (if it's not mounted).

5. Insert your Mac OS 9 installer CD (the multi-session one)

6. Run the installer and install OS 9 to the disk image.

7. Boot into OS X.

8. Make sure that you can mount the disk image.

9. Erase your OS 9 partition and make sure you select you select Mac
OS Extended (don't choose one of the journaling options)

10. Copy the contents of the disk image to the newly erased OS 9 partition.

11. Open up System Preferences:Startup Disk and select the OS 9 partition.

12. Restart.

Caveat: you may end up with a non-bootable OS 9 partition this way.
You could still use the OS 9 partition to run Classic, however!!!

Another piece of advice: you may want to make a back-up of the current
OS 9 partition if you have enough space on your OS X partition. Go
into Disk Utility, select the OS 9 partition and click on New Image.
If something goes wrong you could always return to Disk Utility and
click on Restore. You'll be prompted for the disk image that you
backed up and for the destination disk.

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/