[modeleng] Re: re : gas turbine locos

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:39:37 +0000

I think they run them on propane/butane to start them and then kerosene when
they've spun up to speed. There is a good deal of info on the web about
model turbine engines. I don't know but I think getting rid of excess heat,
controlling noise and revs and having a decent endurance would be bigger
problems than actually getting the engine running. Hey sounds like me wife's
complaints about me, excess gas production, noise...

There is a commercially available model turboprop engine and I imagine you
could use either that gearbox or one like it to get the revs down to
something like that of an ic engine.
Once you've done that then you could either power an alternator to make
electricity to power electric drive motor or for a mechnical drive.